Are all sticks of butter "real" butter?

I'm at Kroger's and trying to find real butter, and a lady told me all butter that is in sticks are real butter. Is this true? I need real salted butter for a recipe I'm going to make. (Imperial, Kroger brand, Smart Balance, Parkay, etc.)

ktr
ktr December 1, 2016

Read the ingredients. If it has oil in it, it isn't butter. If it is called a butter spread it isn't real butter.

janet erikso
janet erikso December 1, 2016

Smart Balance, Parkay, etc. are margarine, not real butter. Butter will simply say butter and either be salted or sweet/non-salted.

creamtea December 1, 2016

Imperial Smart Balance, Parkay are all margarine. If it is butter, it will simply say "butter." if the ingredients list either sweet cream or butter and salt, it's butter. If it lists margarine or oleoresins or oil, it's not butter.

Susan W December 1, 2016

You were misinformed. Sounds like you are close to the butter, but not quite there yet. Hopefully you found it.

BerryBaby December 2, 2016

The label will state 'BUTTER'....if it doesn't say butter, then it's not butter