how come my batter looks like rice-shaped after mixing the brown sugar, butter and eggs?

I am making brownies

asked by Lim007 almost 2 years ago

What do you mean by rice shaped? Curdled? Once you add the chocolate and stir in the flour, it should all come together.

Lim007

yeah, curdled, but it did mix well after adding the chocolate and flour.
But I would like to know how come it became like this, is it because my butter wasn't soft enough before beating ?

It's usually because the butter and eggs are at different temperatures, which makes it difficult for the fats in the egg yolk and butter to blend with the water content from the egg whites and butter so an emulsion can’t be formed.

Lim007

Oh okay, thanks for your help :)

The butter and sugar should be mixed and incorporated before adding the eggs. Then add the eggs one at a time mixing after each one just until blended. Most importantly both butter and eggs should he at room temperature.