A question about a recipe: Caramel Rum Banana Bread

D7547e17 36cd 4245 8006 36cd86608036  banana

I have a question about the recipe "Caramel Rum Banana Bread" from Posie Harwood. Do you suggest using white or dark rum for this recipe?

asked by Marisa Moore over 1 year ago

As the recipe doesn't specify, you can use either to get the results.
IMHO - choose based on whether you like to drink clear or dark spirits (vodkas or scotch, in short), both for taste and because even if you buy a small bottle, you'll have some leftover for drinks or more cooking.
Look forward to hearing what the recipe writer says.

Voted the Best Answer!

lynne

I would use dark rum for the flavor; white rum tastes less like brown sugar and more like straight alcohol.

Marisa Moore

Thanks, Nancy! I'm not much of a drinker but usually go clear. I have leftover white rum but asked the question thinking that dark would be a better fit. I imagine the flavor is more intense/interesting.

I too look forward to hearing what the recipe writer says. May try it this weekend.

sydney

Nobody can taste the difference in 3 tablespoons (!) of rum in the finished, baked good. 'Dark' or 'light' difference will only be apparent in something where a much greater amount is used for soaking (fruitcakes) or in a sauce. Agree with Nancy: Use what you like to drink unless you're buying an airline-size bottle.

Marisa Moore

Good point. And yes. I'll probably buy the mini 😊