A question about a recipe: Caramel Rum Banana Bread

I have a question about the recipe "Caramel Rum Banana Bread" from Posie Harwood. Do you suggest using white or dark rum for this recipe?

D7547e17 36cd 4245 8006 36cd86608036  banana
Recipe question for: Caramel Rum Banana Bread

Nancy December 7, 2016

As the recipe doesn't specify, you can use either to get the results.
IMHO - choose based on whether you like to drink clear or dark spirits (vodkas or scotch, in short), both for taste and because even if you buy a small bottle, you'll have some leftover for drinks or more cooking.
Look forward to hearing what the recipe writer says.

Voted the Best Reply!

lynne
lynne December 7, 2016

I would use dark rum for the flavor; white rum tastes less like brown sugar and more like straight alcohol.

Marisa Moore
Marisa Moore December 8, 2016

Thanks, Nancy! I'm not much of a drinker but usually go clear. I have leftover white rum but asked the question thinking that dark would be a better fit. I imagine the flavor is more intense/interesting.

I too look forward to hearing what the recipe writer says. May try it this weekend.

sydney
sydney December 7, 2016

Nobody can taste the difference in 3 tablespoons (!) of rum in the finished, baked good. 'Dark' or 'light' difference will only be apparent in something where a much greater amount is used for soaking (fruitcakes) or in a sauce. Agree with Nancy: Use what you like to drink unless you're buying an airline-size bottle.

Marisa Moore
Marisa Moore December 8, 2016

Good point. And yes. I'll probably buy the mini 😊