substitute for farro or barley

I'm enjoying your new cookbook, A New Way to Dinner. Can you suggest a sub for barley in Merrill's Fall salad and for farro in Amanda's Winter dish?

asked by Mary almost 2 years ago

Robin

Both Barley and Farro are hearty, but you may try a nice brown rice or buckwheat or Israeli Couscous.

Mary

Thanks! I'll give buckwheat a try. By the way, couscous is a wheat product. Not gluten free.

Elizabeth

You could use wheat berries, since they have a nice chewy texture and retain their shape when cooked, like farro and barley.

Mary

I need a gluten free option.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

why do you want to sub?

Mary

I can't eat gluten.

Windischgirl

I would use a short-grain brown rice or one of the exotic rices like red rice, bamboo rice, or forbidden rice. Buckwheat is tasty but does have a strong flavor that may overpower the other ingredients.