A question about a recipe: Great-Great-Grandma McCracken's Sugar Cookies

6d248a96 22ec 4cf2 a7c8 0c4b2244a731  2016 1105 grandma mccrackens sugar cookies james ransom 591

I have a question about the recipe "Great-Great-Grandma McCracken's Sugar Cookies" from Erin McDowell. Someone asked in the comments about the 1 T. baking powder called for. I too am wondering about this...?

asked by Jennifer about 2 years ago

For the amount of flour it seems right. Per the King Arthur site it takes about 1 t baking power or 1/4 t baking soda to leaven 1 cup flour. The recipe calls for 3 t baking powder and 1/2 t baking soda to leaven 4.5 cups flour -- which is in the ballpark of 5 cups flour the leaveners can theoretically leaven.