🔕 🔔

hour seven of eight hour slow cooked pot roast, liquid does not seem to be reducing but more soupy. will i be able to make a gravy out of it? thanks

I only added one cup of pinot noir initially. this is the recipe from this site. trying to plan for gravy needs!

asked by Christy F about 1 year ago

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Susan W had the same experience when she made that recipe (but with short ribs), she took the liquid out at the end and reduced it separately, saying: "I made this last night, but with boneless shortribs and one cup of liquid was just right. I took the meat and veggies out at the end and reduced the liquid just a little, but you'll have more flour in yours with a big roast, so you may not need to do that."

thanks, Lindsay-Jean. I didn't use a lot of flour initially but i can try to thicken or just reduce..

LJ is right. Reducing the sauce is the key. Reducing keeps the sauce fresh tasting. Adding flour would muddy the taste. If I remember correctly, I was speaking to someone who had a larger roast, therefore more flour because of that and the flour would have a long time to cook into the sauce.