🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Kashke Bademjan ~ Persian Style Roasted Eggplant Dip

7e2e6284 bcaf 453e 9c97 04307e7c435b  img 2178

I have a question about the recipe "Kashke Bademjan ~ Persian Style Roasted Eggplant Dip" from onetribegourmet. Since there are a variety of eggplants available in the stores; and the "common" eggplant available now is considerably smaller than they were just a few years ago, what is the weight used in this recipe? I also do not see turmeric listed in the ingredients: how much is used as indicated in the instructions?

asked by Victor 12 months ago

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Hopefully the recipe author weighs in, as I couldn't find her recipe elsewhere on the web, but for the eggplant part of the question, the Cook's Thesaurus says 1 medium eggplant is one pound (see here: http://www.foodsubs.com...), so I'd say a bit more than that for a large one.

I recently had a similar problem with some recipes for baba ghannoush. Had two different reactions...
one, if the recipe author wasn't so specific, we can be similarly relaxed when making the dish.
two, I looked for a standard measure, to get some consistency, or at least a starting point. Found their measure for one eggplant (they didn't say if medium or large, but sounds substantial) was 1 1/4 lb, which gave 5-6 raw cups cubed.
http://nutritiondata.self...