Quiche question

When making a mushroom, spinach and cheese quiche, do you mix these ingredients with your custard mixture and *then* pour into the crust? Or do you layer the add-ins into the crust *first* and then pour in the custard mixture? Does it matter??

Monita January 30, 2014

Usually you pour the custard over the rest of the ingredients

nashama
nashama January 30, 2014

I'm not sure it matters, especially if your recipe doesn't specify. I mostly fill in this order, though. A light layer of cheese, then my cooked veggies. Then fill with custard and a small sprinkle of cheese. It's always worked out for me.

Chef Jason Lee
Chef Jason Lee January 30, 2014

If you want even portions per item I would pour over (individual tartlet. If using a large single tart style shell you can mix it all together.

kimhw
kimhw January 30, 2014

Are you cooking your spinach first? I leave my baby spinach raw, sautéed onions and mushrooms. I mix it all in the egg mix and poor. When I cook my spinach first I tend to get clumps of spinach.

LisaCooks
LisaCooks January 30, 2014

Thanks everyone. I layered it into the bottom of the crust and poured over--beautifully integrated.