Alternative names for soy milk/almond milk/rice milk?

Been seeing a lot in the news lately about lawmakers who want the FDA to rename almond milk and soy milk because they're not really, technically, milk—as in, they don't come from cows. (See: http://www.latimes.com...) I'm of mixed minds, but I haven't seen a ton of viable alternate names put forth. (Um, soy "juice"?) Hm...any ideas for what good names would be?

Mayukh is a former Staff Writer at Food52.

asked over 1 year ago

My take on it is if it's not broke, why fix it? Sounds like someone has way too much time on their hands.

Valhalla

yeah, the dairy industry. If I put it in cereal, I am calling it milk.

Um, milk.
After all, did Elsie the Cow trademark her product?
What about coconut milk and, dare I say it, milk of the poppy?
Not to mention cleansing milk in cosmetics.
See King of Siam, et cetera, et cetera.

H-Town Veg

Its the dairy industry pushing it. It could get a bit confusing, since cartons of coconut "milk" are already labeled coconut beverage as not to confuse it with coconut milk. So what would we call coconut milk if it can't be called milk?

So in the future, will Milk of Magnesia be "Beverage" of Magnesia??

*sigh*

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I haven't seen anyone using mike of magnesia since I was a kid.

We have a well-aged bottle...