Any thoughts on making dairy-free cornbread? Almond, coconut, or soy milk preferable?

asked by Cara Eisenpress almost 8 years ago

Kayb

My first blush would be soy, and up the egg quotient. I think almond or coconut would add a taste that doesn't sound to me as though it would work.

Mr_Vittles

Hmm... maybe try water and egg yolks. That way it will add the mouthfeel and extra fat that milk would have.

mklug

I think it might depend on if/what you're planning on serving it with...we eat a lot of cornbread, even with non-traditional mains. So while I'd probably go with Kayb and say soy (or oatmilk, if you could get it), if you were like us and sending forth with a curry (surprisingly good, especially with a spicy tomato-based one) coconut milk could be good. In fact, now I'm thinking I might try that!

casa-giardino

Cornbread from my childhood

http://casa-giardino.blogspot...