The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

Making Garlic Chicken Slow Cooker recipe that calls for chicken thighs but i'm using boneless, skinless chicken breast - what adjustments are needed?

http://www.delish.com/cooking...

Above is the posted recipe and as you can see, it calls for chicken thighs.
I've only got boneless, skinless chicken breasts so I'm wondering if I can continue with the recipe unaltered or if I need to change some cooking times.

Thanks so much in advance!

asked by TJ Brooks 3 months ago
3d9cdf85 98e1 4c7e 8a75 1849afefe0ce  fb avatar

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! It's a 6 hour cooking time and I was hoping to make this in time for dinner!

8a48da77 fc4b 492a bf18 e795490750be  open uri20150424 17673 1bo5puk

You should be able to continue without adjusting the cooking time. Chicken thighs just add more flavor than chicken breasts.

Thanks so much, Ashley - I'll just spice up the chicken a bit!

Cav

The first problem is that slow cooker temperatures vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. And four hours on high sounds bad. It'll most likely dry out the breasts and turn the potatoes to mush. The alternative of 8 hours on low is likely to result in the same.

Chicken breasts do not take long to cook, neither do potatoes. You could successfully make pretty well the same dish on the stove top or in the oven, with better results, if you have the time or inclination.

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

One of the differences between chicken thighs and chicken breasts is that the dark meat is less lean and remains tender with longer cooking. Breast meat if overcooked gets dry and tough, it's great for quick cooking recipes but I would think not fare as well in the slow cooker but let us know how it turned out.