Is there a good substitute for "quick-cooking polenta," which is called for in a recipe for a fruit crisp topping?

I'm adapting the Strawberry-Rhubarb Polenta Crisp in the Gjelina cookbook, using blueberry pie filling that I canned last summer. The recipe calls for 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup "quick-cooking polenta", 1/2 cup butter, etc.

I've never seen the stuff at any of the places where I buy pantry staples in bulk, and I'm not inclined to buy a whole package when only half a cup is needed here. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

Prathima
Prathima January 18, 2017

Corn meal? Or just add an equivalent volume of flower, oats, or nuts. The texture will be different, perhaps less crunchy, but probably still delicious with the butter and sugar.

ktr
ktr January 18, 2017

Millet maybe?

PieceOfLayerCake January 18, 2017

I'm assuming its there purely for texture so I imagine you can use anything you want...quick cooking grits is pretty much a match, but if you don't eat grits you run into the same issue. I second Prathima with their suggestion of oats or nuts and through in my vote for seeds (flax might be nice). I personally love polenta...you may take this as a sign to cook more polenta ;)