🔕 🔔

Is there a good substitute for "quick-cooking polenta," which is called for in a recipe for a fruit crisp topping?

I'm adapting the Strawberry-Rhubarb Polenta Crisp in the Gjelina cookbook, using blueberry pie filling that I canned last summer. The recipe calls for 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup "quick-cooking polenta", 1/2 cup butter, etc.

I've never seen the stuff at any of the places where I buy pantry staples in bulk, and I'm not inclined to buy a whole package when only half a cup is needed here. Thanks so much, everyone. ;o)

asked 8 months ago

Corn meal? Or just add an equivalent volume of flower, oats, or nuts. The texture will be different, perhaps less crunchy, but probably still delicious with the butter and sugar.

ktr

Millet maybe?

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I'm assuming its there purely for texture so I imagine you can use anything you want...quick cooking grits is pretty much a match, but if you don't eat grits you run into the same issue. I second Prathima with their suggestion of oats or nuts and through in my vote for seeds (flax might be nice). I personally love polenta...you may take this as a sign to cook more polenta ;)