What should I do if I accidentally am cooking a boston butt roast the way you would a regular rump roast?

What should I do if I accidentally am cooking a boston butt roast the way you would a regular rump roast? I thought it was beef and this country store had just called the roast a butt instead of rump. so I just put it in the oven at 350 with carrots, onions and potatoes and seasoning appropriate to beef. Is there any way to save it at this point? How long should I cook? it is at 350 now and the roast is 9.72 lbs

asked by Eddelweiss over 1 year ago

Rhonda35

If you add some liquid (enough to reach about 1/3 of the way up the roast - water, apple cider, beer, stock, etc.) and cover it with a lid or foil, it should come out nicely. It will need about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, I'd guess, and will be falling apart tender.

Eddelweiss

Thank you so much Rhonda35, will do :)

Rhonda35

After my post, I thought about the vegetables - 3 hours is going to be a lot of cooking time for them, especially in liquid. If you can pull them out of the pan, do so and then add them back in for the last hour. If you can't pull them out, they will still taste fine, but will be very soft. (Not necessarily a bad thing but it might not be to your liking.)

Eddelweiss

Rhonda35,
Thank you so much for trying to warn me about the veggies. I didn't see your post until just now but they turned out ok. They actually ended up a little tough but not too bad. The pork roast turned out perfect though and the gravy I made from the juice was fantastic! I wish more of my kitchen disasters turned out as well :) Thank you again, so much for your help; you saved my dinner!

Rhonda35

:-)

You'll Want to Eat These Soy Sauce Eggs with Everything

Game changed.

Momofuku's Famed Soy Sauce Eggs

From filling salads to warming soups, we've got you covered.

Easy Lunch Ideas

A weeknight slam dunk.

Miso Butter Skillet Chicken

Get Set for the Best

And why Sunday is, hands down, the best day of the week.

American Expat Life in Paris