🔕 🔔

high heat method for 8 pound eye of round roast?

Recipes I see are for a 3-4 pound roast. Will 7 minutes per pound at 475 with 2.5 hour rest time in the oven (off) work for an 8 pounder?

asked by Paul Klacko 7 months ago

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

I like the method used by America's Test Kitchen which is low and slow. It starts with generously salting with Kosher salt and wrapping in plastic over night. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees. While it's heating, brown on all sides in a tablespoon of olive oil. Set the roast on a rack over a rimmed sheet pan with a remote thermometer set for 115 degrees. When the roast hits that temp, turn off the oven. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN. Reset the thermometer for 130 degrees for perfect medium rare. It's perfect every time. I just did it last weekend. For leftovers we made French Dips by heating thin slices in beef broth to preserve medium rare.

MMH

Susan W is right - it's so lean.

159fa81e df11 417f b133 59c3df6008c7  food53

To add to MMH's answer, I converted to a Serious Eats recipe (by Kenji Lopez-Alt, who was first with ATK) that dries it in the fridge overnight (seasoned), and roasts it long and slow/low. I use the method now for all cuts. I believe high heat toughens meat? Go to Serious Eats and look around at how they roast their cuts. Very radical considering how we were all originally taught to roast roasts.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

I think it will work. Since it's a large roast I would tie the roast with twine for even cooking. Of course, check the temperature with a thermometer if you have one.

I like MMH and Sydney's method. Eye of round is so lean.