Pork Rib Roast

Ad26daf4 6a02 43ec 83be 29250bca6af4  2017 01 28 15 46 13 069

I have a beautiful bone in pork rib roast. It's from my meat CSA, Butcher Box (highly recommend). It's 2lb 6 oz bone in from a grass fed heritage pig.

I have to say I don't have much experience with this roast. It's quite lean except for a beautiful layer of fat on top. Does anyone have a great recipe that's tried and true? I want it to be fairly simple because I want the pork flavor to shine AND I broke my left wrist, so working basically one handed right now. I do have access to a sous chef, thank goodness.

I may just salt, pepper it and roast it. Then make gravy with the drippings. Should I brine it? Probably wet brine. Sigh. So many decisions.

asked almost 2 years ago

ktr
ktr

How thick is it? If it is only about 2 inches thick, I'd salt and pepper it. Sear it in butter in a cast iron skillet for a few minutes on each side, top it with some apple butter and put the pan in the oven at 425 degrees until the center is 165 degrees. We recently had an almost identical looking cut of pork and didn't know what it was called (a family member did the butchering and everything was labeled either bacon, roast, ribs, chops or steaks) and that's how I cooked it. It was delicious. Ours did have a thicker layer of fat on it which I waited to cut off until after the meat was cooked.
Good luck and enjoy!

Robert Hickey

I agree. Thickness is the issue. I always wet brine pork steaks/chops - it's a quick, easy step that improves the quality of the final product no end! By the look of your cut I'd brine it first - only needs about half an hour. Heavy on the salt, a little sugar and throw in some peppercorns, a bay leaf and another aromatics you want.

It's 3.25 inches. I consider that fairly thick for a 2lb 6oz roast. I am going to brine it for a few hours. Maybe overnight. I'll either use Serious Eats reverse sear or do as you both suggested. I'll definitely report back with the results. I just discovered the chine bone is intact. That's irritating, but I'll just cut the meat off the bone when it's done.

Thanks to you both.