A question about a recipe: Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup

9f90fede abf4 48bd 8aca 9e2689aec51b  2016 0419 cream of mushroom and wild rice soup james ransom 016

I have a question about the recipe "Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup" from Gena Hamshaw. I used unsweetened coconut milk. Was this my problem, because it does not have much taste

asked by Sue horgan over 1 year ago

Katherine

I wouldn't think so, the recipe doesn't call for sweetened coconut milk (that wouldn't taste good in a savory application anyways). Most likely you did not add enough acid and salt to counteract the coconut milk. Cream and non-dairy milks actually mask a lot of other flavors, so it's necessary to balance any addition with acid and salt. One other possibility is that you did not allow your vegetables to cook long enough before deglazing.