🔕 🔔

what do I do with kaffir lime fruits?

I've seen marmalades, but I'm not a particular fan of canning. Any other ideas? How does the taste compare with regular limes? Thanks!

asked by Marmalady 7 months ago

some sorts of cocktails sound nice. maybe a key lime pie sort of thing.

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

That would be a Kaffir lime pie.

I had a few some years back- best I remember, the juice was pretty much lime juice, and not much of it, but the zest was especially pungent. Unfortunately, the little tree was done in by an unexpected freeze, so I didn't get to work with it much. I suspect they'd make a fine marmalade, but probably best mixed maybe 30% with lemon- limes alone can be pretty overpowering in marmalade. If you only have a few, I'd just use the juice like regular lime juice.

And then he reread the question- ok, no marmalade- you could do a lemon-lime curd for a pie, or maybe pure lime for tartlets.

They really need an edit function- marmalade is actually quite easy in small quantities- if you just make a jar or two, you can just keep it in the refrigerator without really going through the canning process.

What about a Indian style lime 'chutney?" you can buy the spice mixture for it from an Indian grocery store - mix it together and leave it alone for a few days for the flavors to come together. Or go the dessert route as others have mentioned.

Have you not tasted it yet? Talk about pucker!
I use the peel for curry paste, and I freeze the juice for cocktails (great with gin and vodka). I think a marmalade would be inedible, but I have seen it used in curds and in small quantities that could be fine. In Thailand, the juice is used as hair rinse.

Call me crazy, but I think the fruit or rind would taste great if it was candied.

Adding to what others have said, the seeds can be given to others who want to grow kaffir lime tree, it planted just like lemon seed. Just be careful when cutting the fruit open to keep the seed intact. Kaffir lime leaves = instant gardening gratification lol.

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

A lot of Thai dishes (particularly curries) have kaffir lime leaves - not sure if your limes have the leaves attached or not?