🔕 🔔

I want to make a Banana Foster Bread that the recipe calls for Run or Cognac. I don't have any of them. Could I substitute with sherry?

asked by Mcalvosa almost 7 years ago

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

If it were me I would sub bourbon or blended scotch. Or maybe Cointreau or Grand Marnier? Or I would sub a teaspoon of vanilla or rum extract for every Tablespoon of the rum/sherry. Sherry seems too "dried-fruit-like" for bananas to me?

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I wouldn't use sherry either. Rum is an integral flavoring in bananas foster--I think no alcohol at all would be preferable to sherry. I agree with sadassa_ulna about adding vanilla or rum extract if you have them.

Given that you need to set it on fire, sherry is not going to work. Brandy would be fine, even the cheap stuff like E&J.

80cc9648 9cfe 4049 92f3 f6fef0f3a439  fb avatar

you might be able to get by with a bourbon if you had too, but it needs to be a sweeter brown liquor. grand marnier might be good too?