🔕 🔔

I want to make a Banana Foster Bread that the recipe calls for Run or Cognac. I don't have any of them. Could I substitute with sherry?

asked by Mcalvosa over 7 years ago

Sadassa_Ulna

If it were me I would sub bourbon or blended scotch. Or maybe Cointreau or Grand Marnier? Or I would sub a teaspoon of vanilla or rum extract for every Tablespoon of the rum/sherry. Sherry seems too "dried-fruit-like" for bananas to me?

I wouldn't use sherry either. Rum is an integral flavoring in bananas foster--I think no alcohol at all would be preferable to sherry. I agree with sadassa_ulna about adding vanilla or rum extract if you have them.

Given that you need to set it on fire, sherry is not going to work. Brandy would be fine, even the cheap stuff like E&J.

jwolfsthal

you might be able to get by with a bourbon if you had too, but it needs to be a sweeter brown liquor. grand marnier might be good too?