🔕 🔔

How long can bananas be frozen for the magic one-ingredient banana ice cream?

My wife and I absolutely love the "freeze bananas and then put them in the food processor" technique as outlined here:

http://www.thekitchn.com...

...but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with freezing the bananas for a longer period of time. The recipe calls for freezing them for 1.5 hours before processing. I have about 10 bananas that are ready to be frozen but I only want to use 2 or 3 a night.

So, what happens if I freeze them all now and process them a few per night? Will they be over-frozen? Will the end result not turn out the same? answers from anyone with experience would be appreciated.

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

5898788c 7208 4473 a88f a3f4bbe64a0b  img 1339

I keep frozen ripe bananas in the freezer for weeks . I slice them into one inch pieces and keep portion sizes in separate freezer bags. No need to thaw the bananas if they are cut into smaller slices. My favorite in rum raisin banana ice cream. I soak the raisins in rum over night and add to the bananas after they are whipped.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I toss bananas into the freezer whole, in the peel and everything. They're usually fine like that for up to about 2 months. When I want to thaw one, I microwave it for about 1 minute. Then the banana will slip out of the peel pretty easily for mashing for banana bread. If I'm making the banana ice cream trick, I microwave it for closer to 20-30 seconds. It's a little harder to peel, but it'll blend really well in the food processor for the same banana "ice cream" effect.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

I leave mine in there a while- up to two months. I just run them under hot water for about ten seconds and peel. We don't have a microwave, so i can't say whether it works or not.