🔕 🔔

Can anyone identify this Chinese fruit and how to cook it?

68bc3d69 a762 4897 9737 34884f4c7b5a  img 2163

We got from a friend and don't know the name or how to eat it!

asked by Fernando Flores Redondo 12 months ago

22fd5949 f671 4eca 9819 de5858b39390  img 7382

Are they peeled? Hard texture? Maybe JuJubes? They look like almonds to me, but I know they aren't. If you 'search' on the Internet type in Chinese fruit and all kinds of photos come up. You should be able to identify them by all the photos. Good Luck! BB

C24c1cf2 add0 4e8b b813 e5712204af21  fb avatar

Thanks! It totally looks like JuJubes... At first sight I thought "oh, almonds, or peanuts". But they are so soft. Will Google it to see if we are right :)

If this is a jujube, it will have a crisp skin with a soft foam-like interior. The flavor is mildly sweet, like apple. If you have the variety that is used for drying, it can be very bland and almost mealy. Young jujube are greenish and turn brown as they ripen. I eat the fresh ripe jujube like an apple or pear. There's a small pit. No peeling required. Apparently you can also make a tea, syrup or candy the jujube.

No, I think they are ginkgo nuts, http://www.foodsubs.com... - see ginkgo nut. Sometimes it is used for dessert soup, and sometimes savory food.