🔕 🔔

remedies for overcooked chutney?

Made Laurie Colwin's Lemon Chutney (which I've done maybe a dozen times), but forgot I was making half a batch. Slightly overcooked so darker, stickier, denser than usual. Remedies to loosen it up or ways to serve? Tastes too good to throw out. Help, please!

asked about 1 year ago

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

Add hot water and re-simmer?

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

Agree with Lisanne. That should bring it to the consistency you desire.

Thanks for your replies.
I consulted Mrs Wheelbarrow by email and she tells me the problem comes from making a half batch...seems the fruit and water need some more time to cook together than a small amount of preserves allows. Thus, with the smaller amount, the sugar caramelized before the fruit was cooked.
Nothing to do about it. Similar results come with a half batch of overcooked jam.
Will use the ruined results as a kind of candy for home use and make something else to replace the chutney in planned gifts for upcoming Purim.