Help! A chutney I made and canned in August now has, after maturing these four months, a rather dominant clove note. And I only put the tiniest smidgen of cloves in it. (This, by the way, is why I typically can into pints and quarts initially, and then re-pack into smaller jars for giving if the chutney tastes really good after it's been in the jars for a few months.) Is there any antidote to too strong a clove taste in a condiment? Thanks so much! ;o)

Soozll

Do you have another jar that doesn't have the cloves? You could mix them.

Embrace your clove. It's a good flavor.

Hi AJ do you want to add more fruit or no (since that won't be matured) ... anyhow I am looking in the flavor bible and there are lots of matches, I am thinking maybe one or a combo of: cider, cardamom, garam masala, honey, orange, tamarind ... It also suggests red wine maybe just have a glass alongside :-)

I have some cranberry chutney that also has a strong clove note--I had it for dinner tonight with roast turkey in place of cranberry sauce and it was delicious! I say embrace it, too.

Jon Palmer

Rather than trying to find an ingredient to combat it, I would just try to think of an ingredient that would compliment it while being able to stand up to the rest of the flavor of the chutney and be noticed.