a question about using parmesan rinds for enriching broth...

I read somewhere that it makes an unholy mess on the bottom of the pot. Is this true? And how do you clean it out? (soak with soap? warm up w soapy water? scrape, scrub & mutter?)
I have some pieces saved for this but now hesitate to do this w my enamel pots. (I have some stainless steel as well). Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences!!

asked by KR over 1 year ago

I usually use a parmesan rind in a minestrone, or other vegetable soup. While it softens around the edges, I never had a messy clean up problem. Just discarded the rind before serving.
Probably wouldn't use a cheese rind to flavor broth. There, yes, the rind may dissolve more. Or, only add it for the last few minutes.
But if you are worried about it, suggestions to avoid a mess -
* use only one rind per batch of broth;
* don't boil the broth vigorously, yes simmer it;
* soak pots, if needed, to clean up later (and/or use various cleaning tricks like baking soda or white vinegar).

KR
KR

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yes, I actually meant a veggie broth/soup thingie... Will be trying it soon!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I have done it many times without it sticking. It doesn't get sticky, more like gummy after cooking in the broth. Try it an keep an eye on it the first time but I don't see you having a problem. Good luck, it is a great use for the rinds

KR
KR

Great! Thanks!

frecklywench

Just to add onto the below re: cleaning—I found vinegar worked perfectly for my stainless pan! (I followed the instructions in Julia Turshen's Small Victories, which have you add equal parts white vinegar and water to the empty pot, bring them to a boil, and then let sit for ten minutes. But I've also heard an overnight soak does the trick.

KR
KR

Oh, excellent! Forgot about this trick. I love to use vinegar for regular cleaning, although it's a bit potent for the eyes when it gets heated...

MMH
MMH

I made something recently & the rind stuck. I soaked it in hot water & it came right off without scrubbing.

KR
KR

ok. That's great to know. Will be trying it soon!

I add Parmigiano rinds to soup regularly and never had a problem. And I don't throw the rinds out after cooking. I let them cool just a bit, and then nibble at them while I finish up cooking.

KR
KR

oh, that sounds lovely & rich! Thx for the tip.

I've been down that road and even after soaking, had to scrape and scrub. The problem is that the rinds sink to the bottom and then stay there, where they melt and adhere. I suspect that stirring regularly would help (I haven't made it since then); I'd also use a heavy pot, like a Le Creuset Dutch oven, as the high heat on the bottom of my (not heavy) stainless stock pot no doubt contributed to the problem. Actually, I'd put them in a slow cooker, perhaps on a large bed of slice onions and garlic, and go low and slow. Good luck! ;o)

KR
KR

Ah!! Yes, I hesitated to try it b/c of the clean up.
::slow cooker!!!!:: of course!! Though I will try a bed of celery, carrots, & fennel as I do not eat onions or garlic (hence the desire for homemade stock)...
Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

KR
KR

Just occurred to me that my question might not have been clear enough...I also meant to ask: Are you talking about making a broth or a finished soup?
(if a finished soup, then how long to cook to get some good flavour?)

I throw the rinds into a heavy soup--like pasta fagioli or a farro soup. Perhaps that is why the rinds don't sink and stick.

KR
KR

Thanks so much for sharing your suggestions and experiences. I will be trying this early next week (using lots of veg & maybe not for the beginning) & hope to add a follow-up about it.