🔕 🔔

Subbing egg whites for whole eggs

It's a long story, but I have leftover pasteurized egg whites in a carton.
I now need to make a cake--ideally red velvet cake-- and I am wondering if I can sub out the egg whites for the whole eggs in the recipe, weight for weight. The cake has oil in it, so it won't be lacking in fats. I'm just wondering if there is a serious downside to this sub.

asked by Windischgirl 7 months ago

Only potential problem might be texture. Cakes with egg whites tend to be a bit on the dry side and not as tender as a cake with whole eggs. Here's a great tutorial on eggs, http://www.thekitchn.com...
and how each component of an egg affects baked goods.

Good luck!

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

HP, thanks for the link!
I used two more of the whites in cornbread tonight, and added a touch more oil than called for, and the texture was nicely moist inside. Will try this out!