🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Passover Sponge Cake with Tiger Nut Flour

25750fac 6453 4fdb 9c76 82e4238bdf61  2017 0404 passover sponge cake james ransom 425

I have a question about the recipe "Passover Sponge Cake with Tiger Nut Flour" from Alice Medrich. What can I use to substitute the tiger nut flour in this recipe? I have several flours: coconut, cassava, potato starch, cornstarch, almond, pecan, rye, spelt, whole wheat, white lily, normal AP flour.

asked by foofaraw 8 months ago

*Sorry, didn't have cassava flours, but have tapioca, black sesame, green bean, and mochiko flours too.

nobody :/ ?

Af749f95 c306 4400 900d aa681242d56b  alice.medrich.deborah.jones 360x360
Alice Medrich

Alice is a James Beard Foundation and IACP award-winning author of ten cookbooks, including her latest, Flavor Flours.

I'm so worry I missed this question so long ago! I don't believe the flours that you mentioned will work in this recipe, but I have not tried them. Working with non wheat flours is all about experimentation, unless you can find a particular recipe that has already been worked out by someone else. I experimented to get the tiger nut flour to work—by replacing the matzoh meal (which has a texture similar to tiger nuts) with tiger nut flour and making some other adjustments. The flour that you mention are nothing at all like tiger nut flour in consistency or baking qualities, so I am not hopeful. I realize that passover is long over, but for next time I suggest that you search for a passover cake that meets your requirements instead of trying to substitute apples for oranges....if you get what I mean ;-). If you do not need a cake for Passover in particular, I have scads of lovely sponges and other gluten free cakes in my book, Flavor Flours. Thanks for writing, and forgive my lapse.

Thanks for replying! I kept the recipe on my list in but haven't made it yet because it seemed to really need this particular flour (though a bit hopeful with the substitution hence the flour list). I'll try the recipe when I get my hands on the tiger nut flours and will check your other recipes in the meantime.