🔕 🔔

What are some of the things I can do with an eggplant besides grilling or sauteing? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

asked by Allykat about 7 years ago

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I have made this a slew of times and it absolutely rocks - I end up eating half the baked eggplant slices before they get "parmesaned" so make a lot ...

I love just baking eggplant halves in the oven like this:
http://thestonesoup.com...
much less oil and super simple

I make a medley of roasted veggies - cubed eggplant, summer squashes, red onion, sliced garlic, grape tomatoes, cubbed pepper - lots of salt, pepper, some olive oil and maybe one herb. It's wonderful warm or cold.

F869ed16 421e 4a66 bd20 f0e368b1490c  img00156

Slice thin longways and replace them for lasagna noodles.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

try this curried eggplant bake http://www.food52.com/recipes...

8d15d9cf 7f9f 46ec a8b7 7adad145fc4e  dsc 0954 wheat bread

eggplant parmesan is fabulous! I also like to grill, roast, or pan fry sliced eggplant, and then make a sandwich using it along with wheat buns, chevre, and roasted red peppers. Slice thin longways, broil, spread with chevre, top with basil, and roll up for a yummy light meal or appetizer. And too, it is great in lasagna.

Ratatouille comes to mind; where you cook each of the components in separate pans. But you can also use it baked and incorporated into a filling for ravioli/tortelli pasta.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

this Melissa Clark recipe is fantastic if you like lamb with your eggplant:

http://query.nytimes.com...

Don't have the recipe, but Il Matto, a new Italian restaurant in Tribeca, uses the eggplant as a puff pastry substitute for millefoglie! It was terrific. I am sure a call to Matteo, the chef owner, would be greeted with kindness.

C405edfb eff8 43c8 8d2a 9c901ad00568  ozoz bw january2014

Hummus, just pop pricked whole aubergines in the oven and roast at 180 for an hour. Once done, let cool and blitz with olive oil, lemon j, scooped roasted aubergine flesh, salt, pepper for an easy dip. I often batch roast them and refrigerate then use them one at a time when I need to. Keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge

I cube and then steam mine. It keeps the flavour intact, and doesn't require ridiculous amounts of oil. Sometimes I'll steam it, and then throw it in a pan with some garlic, shallots, and spices and do a kinda steam/stir fry thing. Also delicious!

Bc343245 99fb 4d2b 8579 9bf9c485181e  me

I roast them, squeeze the liquid from them and make roasted eggplant soup with them.

I second the soup idea. It makes a wonderful base...add it to some chicken stock with sauteed zucchini, tomatoes, onion and fresh herbs. Makes a great ratatouille soup! You can also make baba ganoush

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

I vote for ratatouille. Make a big batch and divide it into thirds. The first night, eat it as a side dish. The second night, when the flavors have blended and mellowed, serve it atop pasta and sprinkle it with parm-reg, asiago, romano or mozzarella. The third night, use it as a pizza topping, or on Italian sausage sandwiches smothered with mozzarella and toasted.

This baba ganouj recipe is THE BEST.

http://www.davidlebovitz...

D22e715c 166f 4578 8ad4 1e169fc809ba  ry 400

I sometimes saute cubed eggplant and add it to my bolognese sauce. It is delicious.