🔕 🔔

I'm having friends over, 2 adults and their 2 children. There are 3 of us. Going for simple, vegetarian and hopefully agreeable for all. I am thinking of farro and mushroom risotto (recipe from Weds. NYT), a plate of cheeses and olives w/bread (for any finicky eaters) and a big salad. Sound good? I'm open to ideas. Any suggestions for dessert? Thanks in advance!

asked by kittkatt over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Sounds great! For dessert, how about the lemon sponge cups that won this week's wildcard (i'm dying to try them!) http://www.food52.com/recipes...
or Lazy Mary's lemon tart

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

A nice green vegetable side dish would help. If you can find it---the birds eye gold foil warped whole uncut green beans. Heat up a pan of olive oil to just warm...add some garlic and fresh rosemary. Let that sit on very low warm to infused the oil. Remove the garlic and rosemary sprig. Remove the foil from the bean package...and just defrost them. They should be crunchy and bright green. (You could also blanch some fresh whole green beans). Toss in the warm oil, season with salt..add some bread crumbs and serve topped with Parmesan Cheese.

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

I think after a delicious and healthy dinner like that (which sounds deelish BTW) something chocolatey would be great. Mousse perhaps?

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'm a big fan of fruit crisps as a simple but tasty dessert. I'd personally make sure the kids are good with mushrooms. I'm not a huge fan (love to pick 'em, but only really like certain varieties for eating.) Mushrooms are not a deal breaker for me now, but I was a kid there's no way I'd have eaten the farro risotto with mushrooms. I'd add a nice salad to the menu as well. I'd also think about adding gingerroots chevré devils, AntoniaJames spice-brined nuts (several recipes on this site) or my pickled prunes to your cheese plate for a little added pizzazz.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

My answer to the make-everyone-happy meal is either hummos or refried beans, with a big platter of stuffings and sauces, and pita/tortillas. Depends on ages and preferences, but it worked for my kids.

Fd116375 451e 4017 948e fac0f670ad4b  100 0933

With respect for your choice, I 'd advise that for kids I'd play it safer than mushrooms and do a macaroni and cheese but with pureed butternut squash. Martha Stewart had a good one. My kid wouldn't eat mushrooms until he was a young teen. I might also do collard greens on the side, some cornbread and go Whole Southern.

Ccaff5f8 10d1 49e1 86b5 568dfb1c2efe  stringio

Thanks so much - great suggestions. Oddly, I know that these kids love mushrooms, but not so sure about the farro. Love the pickled prune recipe, if not for the dinner, soon thereafter. Lemon desserts sound refreshing, but here the kids may win out with a chocolate theme, maybe the mousse? Now I have lots to think about!

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I'm impressed that your finicky eaters go for cheese and olives. Or mushrooms. You run with a sophisticated crowd. So go earthy with an apple pie a la mode for dessert. With sharp cheddar on the side.

Yes, I'm lucky my son will eat anything, or at least try it. And the other 2 children love olives, one will eat hard cheese, but not mac n' cheese (but pizza is a yes). Go figure. I think I will go forward with my farro idea, and consider all of the great dessert ideas. Thanks again for helping me sort it through!