🔕 🔔

My cupcakes made in silicone molds are taking forever to bake. Do silicone molds require longer times, different temps?

asked by @that_danielle over 6 years ago
0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Difficult to answer. However most recipes and heat requirements are designed for metal 'muffin pan' with paper inserts. Heat transfer in metal can vary--some recipes list higher temps and time for non-stick pans vs older metal cupcake pans which are darker in color after use. Silicone is still realtively new for baking. IMHO I'd stick with metal...and personally, for cupcakes. I enjoy the peeling the paper cup on the cupcake as a hand-held serving device.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

When baking with a material that does not retain and conduct heat, you will indeed need to make adjustments. There's no nice, neat formula for those adjustments--increase both the time and the temperature by slight amounts, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best, and if it works, write it down so that you can duplicate it next time you bake cupcakes.

Try not to purchase bakeware made of silicone (or tin or thin aluminum) ever again,

I love my silicone spatulas because it's almost impossible to melt them. Silpat, the brand name only, silicone pan liners are wonderful for certain applications, such as baking lace cookies. Silicone oven mitts are okay. Silicone whisks, maybe. But silicone bakeware? If it's not too late, try to get your money back.

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

2fc558a8 bd7d 4d57 9ed4 e14a7fcea429  fb avatar

As I'm sure you've figured out by now, yes silicone bakeware will take longer. I stopped using mine for pretty much that same reasons as betteirene describes. I hope your cupcakes came out okay!

Ec30261f e677 492c 9ab6 670678db31fd  dscn3372

Yes, it does take longer because silicone is an insulator. I wouldn't increase the oven temperature but you will need to bake them longer. Then, give away the silicone bakeware!

The only thing I have found silicone bakeware is good for is for molds. I have found some for making different sized bars and other different shapes that I use to mold anything from chocolate to duck fat. I use the bars for duck fat and roux for storing or traveling with.

8895ca9e bdaf 4dc8 9fc9 e41fa12a5240  fb avatar

Silicone molds are not ideal for baking. I wanted to make some cupcake hearts and the time it took to bake them was at least doubled. The small silicone shapes are good for hard Christmas candy.

Fc0daaa7 7cae 4727 abd0 32990762889f  fb avatar

I don't know why everyone is against silicone bakeware. I love it. Found it cooks more even and so much easier to remove bake goods. I made heart cupcakes that came out beautifully!