My cupcakes made in silicone molds are taking forever to bake. Do silicone molds require longer times, different temps?

Sam1148 February 13, 2011

Difficult to answer. However most recipes and heat requirements are designed for metal 'muffin pan' with paper inserts. Heat transfer in metal can vary--some recipes list higher temps and time for non-stick pans vs older metal cupcake pans which are darker in color after use. Silicone is still realtively new for baking. IMHO I'd stick with metal...and personally, for cupcakes. I enjoy the peeling the paper cup on the cupcake as a hand-held serving device.

betteirene
betteirene February 14, 2011

When baking with a material that does not retain and conduct heat, you will indeed need to make adjustments. There's no nice, neat formula for those adjustments--increase both the time and the temperature by slight amounts, keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best, and if it works, write it down so that you can duplicate it next time you bake cupcakes.

Try not to purchase bakeware made of silicone (or tin or thin aluminum) ever again,

I love my silicone spatulas because it's almost impossible to melt them. Silpat, the brand name only, silicone pan liners are wonderful for certain applications, such as baking lace cookies. Silicone oven mitts are okay. Silicone whisks, maybe. But silicone bakeware? If it's not too late, try to get your money back.

http://www.food52.com/foodpickle...

Savorykitchen
Savorykitchen February 14, 2011

As I'm sure you've figured out by now, yes silicone bakeware will take longer. I stopped using mine for pretty much that same reasons as betteirene describes. I hope your cupcakes came out okay!

MaryMaryCulinary
MaryMaryCulinary February 14, 2011

Yes, it does take longer because silicone is an insulator. I wouldn't increase the oven temperature but you will need to bake them longer. Then, give away the silicone bakeware!

Voted the Best Reply!

ChefDaddy
ChefDaddy February 14, 2011

The only thing I have found silicone bakeware is good for is for molds. I have found some for making different sized bars and other different shapes that I use to mold anything from chocolate to duck fat. I use the bars for duck fat and roux for storing or traveling with.

Jacqueline Howk
Jacqueline Howk February 25, 2017

Silicone molds are not ideal for baking. I wanted to make some cupcake hearts and the time it took to bake them was at least doubled. The small silicone shapes are good for hard Christmas candy.

Shellee James
Shellee James July 4, 2017

I don't know why everyone is against silicone bakeware. I love it. Found it cooks more even and so much easier to remove bake goods. I made heart cupcakes that came out beautifully!

Linda
Linda September 9, 2017

What tempature do you bake mini pies and how long?

Linda
Linda September 9, 2017

I have silicone mini pie molds but they didn't send no baking instructions.

JoAnne Lingo
JoAnne Lingo October 1, 2017

I found that silicone baking items steam baked goods leaving them mushy. I stopped using the few that I bought for that reason.