A question about a recipe: Ovenly's Secretly Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies

130b9019 06cd 4d31 87dd 0ee786270a35  2015 1102 genius vegan salted chocolate chip cookies james ransom 095

I have a question about the recipe "Ovenly's Secretly Vegan Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies" from Genius Recipes. How long does dough last in fridge and for best results how many days should I wait to cook?

asked by My over 1 year ago

In step 4, the recipe author writes "Refrigerate the dough for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours."

Presumably the author made several batches and decided that the dough starts to decline in quality after 24 hours.

I don't know if the author ever tested it for longer periods, but I have a hard time understanding why these wouldn't be just fine, if not better, with more than 24 hours. I frequently let doughs rest in the fridge for 3-4 days, sometimes even longer if no eggs are involved. I find that the baked cookies taste much better after 2 days. (I stumbled on this about 20 years ago when making holiday cookie dough on the weekends and then not getting around to baking until after the kids were in bed a few days later.)

That said, perhaps someone could check with the author of the recipe to get his or her input. ;o)

An article (Cook"s Magazine???) last year stated that when regular (non-veg) chocolate chip cookie dough is allowed to rest (it was 2 days, maybe even 3) the flavors deepened, and I have been doing that ever since. I don't know about a vegan version, but I don't see why not.