Looking for a unique/healthy layer cake

Id like to make a festive cake for my parents anniversary next week- they're health conscious and are trying to limit refined sugars and carbs, but they still like cake! Ive been searching for something interesting, perhaps using vegetables (beets, sweet potatos, avocados, etc) or some out of the ordinary flavor profiles. Preferably something layerd!:) I know its a tall order to fill, but if anyone has any ideas let me know- Thank you!

asked by Jennifer W about 1 year ago

The sports nutritionist Nancy Clark has a master recipe out there called "A to Z Cake" with ww flour, oil as the fat & about 25 interchangeable main ingredients (apple to zucchini).
I've made it since the 90s with about half or 2/3 of them and it's utterly reliable and tasty.
Csn be served plain, with fruit or a light glaze. Or frosting if you want to be decadent.
Hard to find now online.
If you like the idea, I can post it here.

foofaraw

I'd love to know the recipe please!

foofaraw - Here's the recipe. Enjoy ;)
https://food52.com/recipes...

Jennifer W

Yes please!

foofaraw

Thank you Nancy! Will try that soon.

I have a recipe for a wonderful Sweet Potato Cake that is made with whole wheat pastry flour. It is divine. I am always happy to share the recipe. The big problem is that over the past almost 40 years, no one - and I mean NO ONE I've shared it with has ever followed the directions completely. And the problem with that is that when you are making a cake with some untraditional ingredients, it's SO easy to end up with bricks. [Let me know if you'd like the recipe.]

Jennifer W

Id love it!

Windischgirl

King Arthur Flour has a Whole Grain Baking book, recipes ranging from sourdough to tortes...I made the whole grain pizza crust this week. I have made a WW Apple Cake with brown sugar frosting for a party, and the WW carrot cake (which I topped with the Swiss Meringue Cream Cheese frosting on this site). It may be worth seeking out the book from the library.

Elle Tee

I love all of the genoise recipes in Alice Medrich's book Flavor Flours. They use whole-grain flours, pure ingredients, are not overly sweet. The oat flour one can be turned into a layer cake with strawberries and whipped cream (or use half whipped cream half Greek yogurt for a healthier but just as delicious option)

Stephanie G

Jennifer,
I bet the Tartine Chocolate Almond Cake from Elisabeth Prueitt on this site is exactly what you're looking for!

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

I have a recipe for morning glory muffin (with parsnips, apple, fresh orange juice, ginger root, flax seed, sunflower seed, walnuts, golden raisins, whole wheat flour that I bake in round cake pans, then I layer it with homemade apricot jam and walnut praline. Its delicious and fresh.

Jennifer W

Nice idea thanks!