Any ideas for a great source for buying high quality scrapple? I need an online source that will send it to the West Coast. I grew up eating scrapple and I love it, as odd as that may seem to some. Thank you! ;o)

pierino September 16, 2010

I love scrapple and I have no connection to Pennsylvania. But I'll eat sausage in all its forms right up to and including haggis. I used to be able to find it in the "frozen breakfast aisle" at Safeway but I haven't seen it for awhile. Possibly because I was the only one buying it. I'll try to see what my radar reveals.

AntoniaJames September 17, 2010

Okay, I was standing at the stove, stirring something this morning, thinking about scrapple and how it's nothing more than a finely ground, well-seasoned sausage with cornmeal in it, and probably cooked polenta style to get that cuttable consistency. So I pulled down my well-thumbed 1977 edition of "Stocking Up," an invaluable Rodale Press (the original organic everything people) resource, and there was a recipe! I had to chuckle when I read it. I don't know what recipe was used by the people who made the scrapple I ate as a girl, but the seasoning list includes some of my favorite herbs and spices -- marjoram, bay, sage and nutmeg. No wonder I love the stuff! I can't post the recipe due to copyright restrictions, but will pass it on to anyone who contacts me individually via the site, consistent with the "fair use" doctrine. I would though still, incidentally, be interested in buying some, if anyone knows any sources. Thank you. ;o)

Matt Foglia
Matt Foglia March 17, 2015

Antonia, would you please send me the scrapple recipe from the Rodale cookbook. I will give it a shot and let you know how it comes out. We have some discerning scrapple aficionados in the family. Please send to [email protected]

boulangere March 17, 2015

AntoniaJames, My parents used to make it when I was a child. My mother had grown up on a farm in Michigan, where her mother made it routinely. When she made it for us, it was long before the age of food processors, so she used a blender. It's one of my favorite young memories of Sunday mornings.

moonablaze
moonablaze September 17, 2010

they also sell it in the frozen section of my Ralphs (if you're in socal)

birdiegirl
birdiegirl September 17, 2010

Wellshire Farms makes Scrapple. You can buy it at Whole Foods.

Portlandfoodie
Portlandfoodie September 8, 2011
www.westcoastscrapple.com - they are based on west coast, and you can order online!