Substitute for kirsch in a traditional Swiss fondue?

asked by nekoorla over 7 years ago

runningcooker

A dry white wine will work ok. German whites seem to work well.

nutcakes

I bet Vermouth would be nice.

puresugar

Maybe amaretto?

There's already wine in the fondue, so it's not a substitute for kirsh. TasteFood suggested Calvados or Pear William. Calvados is certainly not authentic, but it goes well with cheese. Pear William or another clear spirit could work. And I've known people to just leave it out.

latoscana

Tawny port? A different kind of fruit note but goes well with cheese flavors.

Savorykitchen

I have to confess, I have always left the kirsch out of my fondues. I know it's not traditional, but I like the results. Also, I tend to use dry vermouth instead of white wine. I seldom have open bottles of white wine around to cook with, but I always have dry vermouth around. I find any herbal notes in the vermouth work well with cheeses.

ChefDaddy

As savoryk says I leave out the kirsch and use white wine instead. It's just a personal preference. I always have a white and a red cooking wine open next to the cook top.

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks