I have a surplus of edible flowers. I'd love to store them or use them up in recipes. Any recommendations?

I have mini pansies. I'm sprinkling them on all of my food right now, and it looks wonderful, but I'd love to preserve them for a bit longer if possible. All in all, it's a delightful problem.

asked by Afsana Liza over 1 year ago

Ice cubes?

Afsana Liza

Oooh yes! Brilliant! Thank you :)

Shuna Lydon

Candy them, and make a powder using a spice grinder.

I used to grow Johnny Jump-ups. They are beautiful on a chilled melon (cantaloupe or honeydew) soup. I make a pureed cantaloupe and (homemade) almond-milk soup with a little honey and lime juice; I once served them with the little pansies floated on top. They were beautiful.

Also just remembered Alice Medrich provided an article on how to crystallize edible flowers on this site: https://food52.com/blog...

Afsana Liza

Thank you!

Lots of flower-petal jams and jellies out there (rose hip, hibiscus etc)...not sure how well pansies would work, but maybe yes
On salads.
In lemonade or cocktails.
There's a fine lemon cake recipe using a profusion of pansy flowers as the garnish. See vegetarian times magazine.

PS Forgot to say you could uae the flowers to garnish most any cake. The lemon cake is only a (pretty) example.

Afsana Liza

Thanks, Nancy!

Emily S.

I second the recommendation to candy them.

I'd arrange them on top of iced cupcakes. Beautiful weekend treat.