Today's the last day of our NYC Holiday Market. So come see us! »
🔕 🔔

Made Dorie Greenspan's World Peace/Korova cookies. Have made them many times before with no problem. This time, even though refrigerated dough, etc. they bubbled and flattened ridiculously in oven. Used a store brand butter for the first time, White Rose. Is that the culprit? Does it have too high a moisture content for cookies? Thanks.

asked by rwheat almost 6 years ago
E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

That's probably it. Also, check your oven. If the temperature is off, it could cause the cookies to spread before they firm up.

Dr Babs, oven was properly pre-heated and the cookies were sliced cold, as they should be. Have never had this issue before, so all I can think of is the butter brand. So disappointing, had no idea that butters had different moisture content. Guess can't use that brand for cookies, only for cake and stovetop. Thanks for your reply.

You're welcome. I was actually thinking that the actual temperature could be off, even though the oven was pre-heated. My oven runs a little cold, and when I forget that and don't crank up the temperature a little, it does all sorts of nasty things to whatever I'm baking. But you're probably right about the butter.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

As far as cookie texture goes, added sugar makes them spread more. Added baking soda makes them bubble more so you get a coarser crust. Is it at all possible you mis-measured anything? I know for myself that after I've made something multiple times, I sometimes trust my memory more than I should.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Is it possible you used baking soda (or powder) rather than baking powder (or soda)?

You might have over blended the sugar and butter, encorporating too much air.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Lots of possible reasons why the cookies spread too much.

Curious if the dough very cold - chilled for at least 3 hrs.

I've never made these cookies but sounds like the recipe makes a really crumbly dough. It seems very possible to over-mix the butter, especially if using super-soft butter, and ending up with a smooth dough as opposed to crumbly, which would affect the spread.

How do they taste? If they taste off (soapy or metallic) it could be the leavening agent that you used, or maybe you added too much?

Thanks for all the comments. Have made the recipe dozens of times over the years with the same ingredients and same mixing process and chilling and baking process. Can make them in my sleep at this point. ;) I've always used block butter from Sam's club, Plugra or Land of Lakes. This was the first time I ever used White Rose private label butter. That was the only thing I could think of that was different and hadn't experienced texture differences because of butter before.

I'll try them again and report back. Thanks so much for all your comments. It's a fabulous recipe and I would recommend you try it if you haven't yet before - http://leitesculinaria...

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

It kills me to admit it, but I've come to accept that when an old and familiar recipe flops, it was probably because I forgot something, added it twice etc. Not saying that's the problem here, just saying if the bread didn't rise, it's probably because the phone rang before I added the yeast.

I was just reminded of a time when I made a tried and true cookie recipe, but in my days of innocence put it under the broiler -- making unusually large and thin cookies! I'm sure you didn't do that.