A question about a recipe: Party-Trick Peanut Butter Cake

40619234 c226 427a a95f 98fcccb6942f  2016 0927 molly yeh peanut butter cake linda xiao 117

I have a question about the recipe "Party-Trick Peanut Butter Cake" from molly yeh. Is there anyway I could switch peanut butter to nutella or something? Severe peanut allergy, fine with hazelnuts. Neither almond butter or plain hazelnut butter is a thing in my country.

asked by Fredrik Backman over 1 year ago

foofaraw

If you have almond/cashew, you can grind them (roasted or unroasted, though roasted is tastier) in food processor to make almond/cashew butter. Cashew will have slightly more oil, so you probably need to reduce the oil a bit. http://wakethewolves.com/how-to-make-almond-butter/

On the one hand, I would grind my own hazelnuts, similar to what foofaraw suggested, or even crush them finely in a bag (with a rolling pin or empty wine bottle) and add to the recipe. Why? because the nutella will have about double the carbs & sugar, and about 2/3 the fat, of the original.
On the other hand, why not? The original peanut butter measure only 1/2 cup and a substitution is unlikely to change the recipe much.
On the third hand, why not ask Molly directly?
http://mynameisyeh.com/contact/

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I think tahini would be really good as a variation.