Increasing the size of of Marcella Hazan's Roast Chicken with Lemon

The recipe calls for a 3-4 lb chicken cooked 30 min breast down then 30 min breast up at 350 and finally an additional 20 at 400. I have a 5.5 lb bird and 6 lb bird that I need to cook together. Can somebody please help me adjust the cooking. Thank you.

asked by Diego de la Torre over 1 year ago

Liz D

Per Joy of Cooking, you should roast chicken about 20 minutes per pound at 350. I'd cook them maybe 40-45 minutes breast down & 40-45 minutes breast up, then the final 20 at 400. But I'd check it with a thermometer after about 30 minutes on the breast up part of the program, just to see where it is. Roasting isn't exact, it's always an adventure for me... Also, don't put them too close together in the oven, the heat needs to circulate around each bird.

The best way to know if it's done is to check the thickest part of the breast with an instant read thermometer. It's fully cooked when it reaches 160F. Needless to say it will take longer.