🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Michel Guérard's Sauce Vierge

0b7f59d3 d5a0 45a8 b7e2 8202d691cf06  2017 0609 raw tomato sauce vierge bobbi lin 29156

I have a question about the recipe "Michel Guérard's Sauce Vierge" from Genius Recipes. How long will this sauce keep in the fridge?

asked by chez_mere 3 months ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

The basic concept of this sauce is capture the freshness of tomatoes and herbs in a lightly cooked preparation, barely enough to cook the tomatoes through. Note the vivid colors of the herbs in the finished sauce.

My guess is that this sauce will keep about a week in the fridge, but one may notice a drop in quality/freshness after 2-3 days, and the herbs will start to brown, reducing some of the aesthetic character of this fresh sauce.

Whether or not you feel the loss of quality is acceptable will be your call.

Eb050f18 51f9 464e a865 882e4fca4e78  img 3244

Thanks for the input! I agree it's definitely the sort of sauce that is best enjoyed fresh, but since the recipe makes a lot and I am normally only cooking for 1 medical student (or myself haha), it's good to know I can enjoy the leftovers for a little bit :)

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

Yes, I agree with cv that it can hang out for a few days in the fridge, but will get less fresh in taste and texture (and looks) over time. The olive oil also might solidify in the fridge, but you can just warm it or let it come down to room temperature. But the best thing about this sauce is its flexibility, so you can make it with only a tomato or two if you like, and add everything else to taste—it's tough to go wrong.

There's nothing about this recipe that requires one to make a full portion.

You are free to make smaller portions more often to suit your intake. This type of sauce is fairly flexible in its proportions, you can reduce fairly easily without worrying about converting and measuring to the last gram/milliliter.

I'm single, so I would definitely just prepare what I would enjoy in one or two servings rather than try to figure out a way to make this last an entire week or force myself to make multiple dishes before this sauce loses its fresh appeal.