🔕 🔔

vietnamese rice vermicelli: any flexibility in temp. of soaking water?

i am trying to avoid boiling water in the hottest days of summer (to come).while i understand that rice paper wrappers are much thinner, they are always dipped in water to soften. Would the vermicelli be able to be sufficiently softened in warm tap water, if soaked long enough or would 'enough' require 'forever'? thx much.

asked by LE BEC FIN 5 months ago

@Le Bec Fin, for those really thin rice noodles (looks like angel hair), you can soak in hot water. Should not take 'forever', maybe about 1-2 hours at most. It really depends on the noodles. I've had some noodles soften in 30 minutes (in hot water) and some that never soften enough to be eaten and enjoyed. It's not going to be the same as boiling the noodles (ie. not chewy) but for cold food applications (noodle salad), should work adequately.

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

I don't know about rice vermicelli, but bean thread noodles (also called glass noodles, or mung bean noodles) don't usually need to be boiled. Again, it vary from brand to brand, but I've made them where they just need to be soaked in hot tap water. They do have a different texture than rice noodles, chewier I think, but they make good cold noodle dishes.