Can you bake premade pie crust in metal baking dish different from aluminum disposable

I realized I don't have a round glass or ceramic baking dish to bake my premade pie crust in. Can I bake it in a square metal baking dish like one you would bake brownies in? Not a metal aluminum disposable dish.

Beth
Beth June 28, 2017

I don't see why not, having a square pie would be fun! Cook times may change so keep an eye on it.

Voted the Best Reply!

PieceOfLayerCake June 28, 2017

It might be difficult to shape, but there's no reason it won't work...The problem I see is that since baking dishes are usually straight sided, and pie plates are sloped, the sides of the crust will probably cave it. If you line the pie dough with greased foil or parchment and fill it nearly to the brim with beans/pie weights/rice, you'll probably prevent that, but it's a small risk.

Out of curiosity....why not a disposable dish? I bake pies almost exclusively in those buggers and never have a single ounce of regret. People are getting pie....they shouldn't be judging the vessel it came in.

Nancy June 29, 2017

Or make a slab pie (square or rectangle) or a free-form rustic one (round with extra dough folded in over the filling) on a sheet pan.