Anyone swapped avocado for butter in a brownie recipe?

Want to use up avocados and seems like a good way for a treat for my kids.

asked by Lara over 1 year ago

Haven't made avocado brownies myself, but have two bits of info or experience to suggest it might work:
1) avocados are 77% fat and butter is about 81% fat...so close the recipe might work well chemically
2) I've made a chocolate mousse whose only fat was avocado and the dish works beautifully, with the avocado giving great smooth texture and bulk, but not distinctive or dominant flavor.
So, go for it...:) and please tell us how it works out.
PS If you want, I can post the mousse recipe so you can try that too.

Lara

I have made avocado mousse before. Thx.

Windischgirl

They did a taste test of avocado brownies at my work cafeteria. They were fudgy but yum. This is a GF recipe (I guess credit has to go to Sodexo??). I ate these but did not make them, so forgive the oddly-worded recipe.
1 c. Almonds, blended (I'm thinking they mean ground into meal)
1/2 c. Dark chocolate chips
1/3 c. Sugar
1/4 c. Cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 ripe avocado
--preheat oven to 350. Grease 8 x 8 baking pan.
--melt chocolate chips in the microwave and mash in the avocado. Let cool to room temperature.
--combine all ingredients and stir well. Transfer into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes

Lara

I have a recipe that uses avocados but wanted to try modifying some of my usual butter based recipes ... thx though.