🔕 🔔

Temp of pan on stovetop

If a pan is described as being ok heated to 400 degrees on stovetop, how does one know when that temp is reached?

asked by Saffron3 4 months ago

Interesting question.
To start, here are some answers I found at a site which works like the food52 hotline...members submit answers and others rate them.
Short answer: most stovetop pans will eventually rise to about 380 to 400F.
IF thermometer will help you calibrate your own stovetop, if you need to be precise.
https://cooking.stackexchange...

Auto incorrect struck again.
Should be IR (infrared) thermometer.

You can get a laser gun to tell you that. But that's an expensive solution. Try this; add a teaspoon of water to the pan it should begin to boil off immediately.

Pierino... yes, of course.

@pierino, I got an infrared temperature gun for ~$20 on Groupon (of all places).

Hi there. After these answers, I went out onto other sites, and as Nancy suggests, pans get to be about 350 to 400. If the pan for sale says a top limit of 400, I am not sure the pan is safe unless used at a lower heat for a shorter time, given one can cook a hot sauté fine but endanger the pan. I never thought of this given I tend towards stainless, but wanted this one pan so had to investigate. Thanks.