🔕 🔔

Grilling gift basket

Would appreciate thoughts on grilling items for a mid-price gift basket.

I'm starting with this but need more goodies for the basket...
4 Raichlen ebooks for less than $2 each
http://barbecuebible.com...

Thanks!

asked 10 days ago
74ae45ce 244b 4655 8a1e a8655c72047a  img 4116

By far my favorite grill cleaning tool is the "GrillStone Grill Cleaning Block". It's a pumice-y looking brick that works better with less effort than any brush/scraper I've ever tried. While looking for the exact name of the one I have I saw that it was voted the grill cleaner winner by Cook's Illustrated (https://www.cooksillustrated... -I was able to read the review without a subscription, hopefully you will too). They mention only using it once a season, if you press down hard it does remove any seasoning on the grates, but I find a quick graze without the handle it came with as the grill is cooling off works perfectly for me; and to be honest I'm not the best at preventing the odd chicken grease fire so that's pretty impressive.

OR.... if you're familiar with canning or know of a gift-y looking local/artisinal brand of sauces a stone fruit based barbecue sauce is one of the best food gifts this time of year and pair it with a basting brush that's rated for use to 500degrees or higher.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

I disagree with the third-party sauce recommendation. It's a one-time use and you don't know if the recipient is going to like it.

I assume you have a limited budget for the gift basket, better to stock it with items that can provide years of use, not a one-shot deal that might not be all that well appreciated.

Now if you want to stick in *YOUR* dry rub or BBQ sauce, yes, I can definitely see that. At least it's a personal endorsement of something you've created and put on your own dinner table for others. But if you do, provide the recipe.

Admittedly, I haven't used that pumice block, but I'm happy using my $5 wire stripper brush.

Oh, and if you are going to offer e-books, I suggest think about diversifying the readings, rather than four titles from the same author.

My suggestion would be Meathead Goldwyn's book (featured here at Food52) as well as the Franklin Barbecue book. Raichlen has written some excellent books, but it's wise not to stick with one voice for BBQ cookbooks.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

We grill on charcoal so keep that in mind. I like a grill basket 4 veggies and tender things like fish and seafood. Bamboo sewers are cheap and handy. A water spray bottle is handy. Really good & strong tools are a must. There are so many cheap ones. We have some really heavy duty tongs and one side is also a spatula. A variety of wood chips for smoking are fun to try. I agree on the thermometer - a must. I like the polder. If they've never grilled with real hard wood charcoal that's a must try and along with that a charcoal chimney. Hope that helps.

Depends partly on what the recipient likes to cook or wants to learn to cook.
Is it all grilling or also barbecue?
If BBQ, consider a book from Mike and Amy Mills (see their website or booksellers).
If also using the grill for side dishes or frying, consider cast iron griddle, fry pan or Dutch oven. And they can move indoors for winter cooking.
Wood chips for smoking.
Wood planks for cooking fish.

Raichlen's books typically span both barbecue and grilling.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Years ago I won a grilling basket and recall what was in it, apron, set of grilling tools, mits, brushes, grate cleaner. The basics...it was a good starter kit, simple and useful.