🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Tuna Noodle Casserole - Redux

E21ef7af d905 42f3 9a31 3c805fc267dd  tuna casserole

I have a question about the recipe "Tuna Noodle Casserole - Redux" from fiveandspice.
can you just omit the sherry or do you need to add something in its place?

asked by grammiejudy over 6 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Probably not--most of the sherry probably cooks off during the sautéing.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

The sherry adds nice flavor to the sauce, but it's not necessary for the purposes of the chemistry of making the dish. If you have white wine you could also use that instead. Or you could just omit it and you would be fine, you'd simply have a slightly different end flavor.

I made without sherry because I only had white wine on hand and the dish was fantastic! I also threw in a few left over sage leaves and used butter only for the roux (olive oil in smaller quantities for the rest).

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I substitute balsamic vinegar for sherry when I have no sherry, for some things like soup. If it is a large quantity of sherry you might sub in 50% balsamic and taste before adding more. Also, if you edit your tags to include "sherry" you might find similar previously posted "pickles."