🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Candied Olives

705ee4b2 23a3 460a 9afa 2c0fa95a34d5  olivesweb

I have a question about the recipe "Candied Olives" from Zomg.Is there an acceptable substitution for the Castelvetrano olives? I'd love to try this. Thanks!

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

I am sure Zomg has an idea about this but I'll just mention that Castelvetrano olives are very different from other olives. They don't require much curing so they retain a bright green color and have a sweet, lightly salty flavor. Most varieties of olives require months of brining just to be edible, giving them their very salty taste.

Thank you so much! That helps me a lot.

395ca4a6 4d5f 4c5b b389 cb44046b8df0  beets my heart

Thank you latoscana for jumping in with a great answer! Castelvetrano olives are firm and bright and don't compare well to other olives in the olive bar. I imagine lucky people in olive country might have access to comparable varieties, though If you do go with something else make sure the olives are firm and maybe dunk them in a change or two of water to dilute the brine. I hope it turns out for you!

typo, oops! **though. If you...**

That's what I get for typing before coffee...

Thanks for the good information. I'll see what I can find. Now for some coffee.