Has anyone ever made tonic water at home? Spring is just around the corner- and I'm ready to start making Gin and Tonics, but I am sick of my tonic al

I have a seltzer maker, so carbonation isn't a problem. But what is it that makes tonic water tonic water so good?

asked by rebeccatheduck over 7 years ago

courtneyjaggers

$1.29 at wal-mart

Q Tonic was started by a guy who wanted to answer the same question. Here's his site: http://bit.ly/fYRifp

Jake

quinine provides flavor, which I don't think is readily available at the supermarket. Oh, and sugar.

Yes, it's quinine. I often drink tonic water straight because quinine also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and I've had chronic knee trouble for awhile. Works for me.

sabina

Here is a posting for making your own, it is not plain, but you could tinker around and get it to your own liking. If you don't want to use the recommended agave--a 1:1 simple syrup could be substituted. Powdered cinchona bark is the quinine source. http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler...

innoabrd

And just remember, folks, quinine is no longer reliable protection against malaria...G&Ts are not a substitute for proper malaria prophylaxis, though they couldn't hurt!

BronaCos

Love G&T's - always had a hard time finding good tonic until Q arrived - great taste, well worth the extra pennies #Q

RobertaJ

@innoabrd, well, all *I* can say is that *I'VE* never had a case of malaria !! ;-p

rebeccatheduck

Hey thanks everybody! I'm gonna try it soon!