🔕 🔔

What's the difference between madras-curry and muchi-curry powders?

I have the latter, and I want to make a recipe that calls for the former.

asked by mwb over 6 years ago

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

My understanding is that Muchi and Madras, while similar in flavor, originate from different locations. Muchi is from the west coast of India and Madras from the Southern east coat.

Muchi curry powder is spicier than madras, but if I remember correctly both are Anglo-style curry powders - extra heavy on turmeric, cardamom, and other brightly colored, highly aromatic spices.

You could use the muchi powder and just end up with a spicier version of the original recipe; or, you could cut the muchi powder with a mixture of ground cumin and coriander for a less spicy dish.

Bf4d0de9 4110 4931 998e 93d3e62d1eeb  mwb crater lake
mwb

Thanks to you both! The recipe I have also calls for cumin and coriander, so I think I'll try your suggestion, kathleen440.

B997a3e0 15e1 4323 99cc bf778a6da88e  52

mwp can you please tell what recipe you are going to cook

mwb

I am planning to make a chicken curry with a coconut-milk sauce. Thanks!