🔕 🔔

Does anyone have a reliable recipe for Strawberry Cake?

I want to make a strawberry cake not using a cake mix nor jello. I have tried two different recipes before that were total disasters and I really want to make a good one. Thanks!

asked by katiebakes over 6 years ago

This is a recipe I found online at Apartment Therapy and just made for a friend's birthday-mine did not look this stunning but tasted great: http://www.thekitchn.com...

E6767a73 05c1 4481 8535 a5da5cefa195  pink cake final rect540

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Unlike lemon or chocolate, baking with flour isn't good for full flavor from fragile strawberries, which is why purchased strawberry cakes taste like chemicals and why most recipes for semi-homemade strawberry cakes call for flavored gelatin. About 40 years ago at a baby shower, I was served a cute little pink cupcake made with a packet of unsweetened strawberry Kool-Aid. Don't even think about doing this--it was downright nasty.

I hate it when someone asks me to make a strawberry cake. I try to gently steer them away from that option by suggesting a strawberry shortcake instead. There are people who are insistent, however, even when I tell them that my strawberry layer cake is just so-so. So I grudgingly make one but happily take their cash for it.

I'm afraid this is the best I can do: Allow 2 cups of frozen strawberries to partially thaw. While they are still icy, slice them into a food processor or blender or use a blender stick to puree them. Measure 1 1/4 cups of puree and use it to replace the milk or buttermilk in Dorie Greenspan's or Nick Malgieri's recipe for Perfect Party Cake. (If you don't have Dorie's or Nick's baking book, the recipe is all over the Internet.) If you want the batter to be pinker, add a few drops of red food coloring or beet juice. A frosting of cream cheese or mascarpone whipped cream works best with this cake.

My favorite strawberry cake when strawberries are out of season is a hybrid of an Eton Mess trifle and an American shortcake made from biscuit dough baked in 2 round cake pans. I split both layers in half and put the bottom of one layer into a trifle bowl, then spoon some lightly-sweetened strawberry puree over it until it's wet but not soaked, and I repeat that with the other layers, all cut-side up. It gets covered in plastic with a weighted plate on top and goes into the refrigerator for a couple of hours before being served in tulip glasses with mascarpone whipped cream between the layers and a drizzle of strawberry jam on top. It's about as close to summer as you can get in February.

I agree with betteirene - if the circumstances permit, go for strawberry shortcake. Make any biscuit recipe or angel food or pound cake recipe you like, and assemble with prepared berries, whipped cream, mascarpone or creme fraiche. If you want a luxe biscuit, try this one made with whipping cream, from the late great Jim Beard http://www.food.com/recipe...
P.S. they're also wonderful in the morning with marmalade.

Here's a link to Smitten Kitchen's Pink Lady Cake. It's a strawberry cake, from scratch, that uses frozen strawberries (including their juices) that is delightlful. It's a firm crumbed cake, unless you separate the eggs (or a couple of them at least) and whip the whites and fold them in once the batter is made. The strawberry flavor isn't very strong in the finished cake, but it's unmistakable and the batter tastes like strawberry ice cream..it's so delicious! Read the comments..mostly the last half. http://smittenkitchen.com...

Fd116375 451e 4017 948e fac0f670ad4b  100 0933

It should tell you something when the Florida Strawberry Growers' Association recipe blog has no strawberry cake recipe. Hmmmmmn. How about short cake?

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I used the Smitten Kitchen one Soozll references last year for our daughter's 4th birthday. I used extra strawberries and red food coloring for a more pronounced pink color suited to a little girl's birthday. I used it with Ina Garten's buttercream recipe and decorated the top with fresh strawberries. It was a hit.

B569b14b 4884 4192 8bdf a7eee8ae5617  img 1285

1eea619b 27d5 4619 ad30 ef652e7afdd3  photo

I am a big fan of this Martha Stewart strawberry cake and it has always gotten rave reviews: http://www.marthastewart.... It is light and buttery and is baked with strawberries and drizzles of sugar on top. Mmm!

Here's another one to try, from this month's issue: http://www.saveur.com/article...

Did you try any of the recipes above?

Fd995f34 d0f0 4ab8 9e40 d444cfb26784  anjam

I do have the best recipe for strawberry cupcake..Its very yummy....guys just try this @http://www.clubnoor.com...

665a8309 1aa9 464c af40 5df60cb52258  strawberry blush cupcakes

685bd191 f097 437f 8cba 7f650f71d209  stringio

There is a great recipe for a fresh strawberry yogurt cake on aspicyperspective.com. I have made it many times and everyone loves it.