Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

I have a huge amount of poblano peppers in my garden. In the past I have hung them in the pantry to dry so I can have anchos for red sauce. Does anyone know of a, or have a suggestion for, a better way of doing this?

asked by thirschfeld about 6 years ago
06ee28a3 81fa 495a b199 18e15c73a1c2  hib kitchen

When I was in Mexico City I saw them canned in oil with garlic, thinly sliced onions. They actually had their skin on, but thinly sliced. I did it at home. Simple and good. I think the skin kept them in tack while boiling the jars. I didn't mind the skin, but I am sure some would. I used them in eggs, fish, sauces,and meat for a quick prep meal. Love your idea, though. I love the visual of hanging peppers.

Dc6dab61 0a80 4308 b0cf d5d06d9d7ac1  kroka kitchen

If you blacken them on the grill, remove the charred skins and seeds and slice them up, you can freeze them in batches. These "rajas" have many uses. I put them in soups, stews, or make salsas with them. You can use them in chiliquiles, enchiladas or quesadillas. They lend a nice smoky flavor, too and that summery, peppery flavor that you don't get from dried.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Stuffed with cheese, dipped in batter and fried and you have rillenjos. Roasted and peeled they are versatile in many dishes because they're fairly mild and far more interesting than insipid supermarket bell peppers. Omelets, tuna salad...

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Just came across a recipe I'd clipped and stuck on my pile for like those mentioned above - roasted and then packed in oil. It's from Aug. 2010 Food and Wine:

http://www.foodandwine...