🔕 🔔

Any ideas about a non-dairy cheese to substitute for cream cheese in Helenthenanny's recipe for Devils on Hatchback? Would goat cheese be weird? Anyon

asked by John Ryan Brooks over 6 years ago

Ece90812 0903 49a8 8e35 aa86c774be22  dsc00202
francesca gilberti

Francesca is the former Assistant Editor of food52 and believes you can make anything out of farro.

Goat cheese would be delicious, but certainly contains goat milk. If the issue is cow, you're good to go.

94d3d922 0c09 4916 9398 e8dc022fa2d0  lobster 001

You could use a tofu mixture. It can have the consistancy of cream cheese and you can flavor it however you like.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket...

What would make goat cheese non dairy? It's not cow nut it's still milk.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Is it for lactose intolerance? Many people with lactose intolerance can eat yogurt. and some hard cheeses.
You could try making some yogurt cheese, take a strainer line with cheese cloth and fill with yogurt over a drip pan. It's a good sub for cream cheese.

http://lowfatcooking.about...

0c2c08a9 1e7e 4449 89c1 758d62f1e797  amdrink

Not sure about the dairy vs. non-dairy question, but a restaurant in my neighborhood in Seattle serves jalepenos filled with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon, and baked (at least that's what I tell myself so I can keep eating them on the regular), and they're delish!

I think a soft goat cheese would be fine. I'm lactose intolerant and can tolerate goat cheese a lot better than cow's milk. When people state they want something "non-dairy" I always assume that they mean not from a cow, so goat cheese should be OK. There's a tofutti brand cream cheese, but I think that it tastes yucky, sort of artificial. I vote for a mild, soft goat cheese or make your own cream cheese alternative w/ tofu.

The tofutti "Better than Cream Cheese" products taste almost exactly like real cream cheese, but tend to get pretty runny when heat (from experience of english muffins and drippy fake cream cheese all over everywhere. maybe an off batch though?).
I'd go with the goat cheese.

C45c94a0 2e08 45bf a73c 4235d1b3c4bb  image

I have made cashew milk, using raw cashews soaked in water, but i have never made cashew cheese; here is one version if you feel like experimenting:
http://chocolateandzucchini...

075e9a08 24f4 4ac5 b2b7 5dbe68442d98  img 0319

you are so right pierino! i always thought dairy only applied to cows but it applies to the harvest of all animal milk for human consumption.