🔕 🔔

recipe with scarlet runner beans

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

E29013c2 3e90 48ab b297 41e445e1e562  sunshine small
Peter

While Peter no longer works for Food52 he still thinks up ways to make the website better.

10,000 recipes on Food52 and can you believe there's only *1* with runner beans? It sounds yummy though and it comes from KitchenButterfly, one of the most prolific contributors on Food52. Take a look:

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Soaked boiled, cooked and cooled.

Mix with olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. For a simple dressing.
Add in some diced red onion (optional) and cubes of feta cheese before serving.
It's better the next day after it's marinated.

Ddd52943 cdf0 4edb a2d4 73aa286607f0  399571 2853636453848 1694221275 n

This is a kind of Lima bean? I'm guessing here..

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Scarlet runner beans! They are easy to grow and have nice flowers--so nice that when I was in college we grew them in the stairway, from floor to floor. Thomas Jefferson grew them too! Most people's general advice is to treat them like any fresh or dried shell bean. But are you looking at using the whole pod?

I love runner beans and think of them as being very English, since it was when we lived in London that I first encountered them. Generally, you slice them very thinly before cooking. There is, in fact, a special tool for slicing runner beans (http://www.lakeland.co...). I don't have one and instead slice them thinly on the bias. Here's the basics of how I prepare them:

9de96d4f 66fa 43de 91f2 4ae35b5b0db9  bean slicer

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

I know Scarlet Runners as a dried bean--a really, really good one! I didn't know or hadn't thought about eating the pods. I do like that little gizmo, inno. My dad was a wonderful gardener and grew different kinds of beans. I wonder if I ate them and didn't know it. Any gardeners in NC grow these?